History of the Church Bells
A chime of eight bells was purchased from
the English company, Messrs. Mears and Stainbank, by Mr. & Mrs. A.M.
Nanton. The bells are named LOVE, JOY, PEACE, LONG SUFFERING,
GENTLENESS, GOODNESS AND MEEKNESS. They are tuned to the key of
E-flat. The tenor bell weighs 2500 pounds.
The great bell (or tenor
bell) is inscribed "To the glory of God and in loving memory of Mary
Louisa Nanton and Thomas Clark. This chime of bells was presented
to St. Luke's Church in Winnipeg by their respective families, 1910."
The bells rang out for the first time on Sunday, January 29th, 1911.
In the spring of 1911,
the tower clock was put in place and uses the bells to sound the quarter
hours, with a Westminster chime. The chime is manually operated
except for the tenor bell which is motor driven, and is used as a
tolling bell; e.g. at funerals, the bell is tolled to indicate the
age of the deceased.
The bells may be sampled
as a "Touch of Peal" on the church choir's centenary CD "We love the
place, O God", by clicking
Back to Top